Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week # 23 - 02/02/2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

This week I have a redhead siren songstress by the name of Florence Welch, she is Florence and the Machine. If you are a fan of Rilo Kiley, Tori Amos, and maybe even Feist, then you will really like the sound from this artist. I've spent the better part of the morning listening to her album and trying to figure out which songs I wanted to share with you. It was a hard choice, there are so many that I like. If you do like what you hear, Amazon MP3 does have the album for $7.99, not much of a discount, but it is a little less than iTunes.



I've been trying to come up with a way to describe the music Welch writes, but I can't come up with a better way of saying it then she does, so the following is from her website where she is talking about her music:

"I want my music to sound like throwing yourself out of a tree, or off a tall building, or as if you’re being sucked down into the ocean and you can’t breathe.  It’s something overwhelming and all-encompassing that fills you up, and you’re either going to explode with it, or you’re just going to disappear.” Florence writes her best songs when she’s drunk or has a hangover, because that’s when the freedom, the feral music comes, creating itself wildly from the fragments gathered in her notebooks and in her head. “You’re lucid,” she explains, “but you’re not really there. You’re floating through your own thoughts, and you can pick out what you need. I like those weird connections in the universe. I feel that life’s like a consistent acid trip, those times when things keep coming back.” Florence herself is a mass of contradictions: she’s tough yet she’s terrified, a bundle of nerves and passion, of darkness and pure joy. “I feel things quite intensely, which is why the music has to be so intense. I’m either really sad or really happy, I’m tired or completely manic. That’s when I’m at my most creative, but it’s also dangerous for me. I feel I could write some good songs, or break some hearts. Or tables. Or glasses.”

Hope you've enjoyed this week NMT. Let me know what you think.

Florence and the Machine - Between Two Lungs


Florence and The Machine - Cosmic Love

1 comments:

Menace2Music said...

Florence has an amazing voice - so much emotion. She's quite the personality too, and I think the industry has been crying out for someone like her for a while!